Music plays a large role in our life here at Wayne Church. Music can open our hearts and minds to meditation and prayer, re-tell Bible stories, provide expression to life experiences, inspire us, and offers a universal language by which we may communicate about God across cultures. But first and foremost, music is a gift by which we may seek to glorify God. Lifting up our offerings of beautiful music is a fundamental act of worship here at Wayne Church—whether it be in a worship service or as a gift to our community. The music ministry program at Wayne Church seeks to deepen and enrich our worship experience through a wide variety of musical styles and outlets. Read more below.
Wayne Church seeks to worship God through the lifting up of beautiful music. We feature a mixture of carefully-chosen hymns, worship songs, and music performances by our choirs and gifted musicians—all of whom seek to create a space in which God and the redemptive work of Jesus is the focus.
Our choirs include:
- Praise Bells – A hand-bell choir! Rehearses Thursday evenings from 7-8pm and performs once or twice a month during 10:30am worship services. If you are interested in joining, please email our music minister, Eric Cui.
- Chancel Singers – Our adult choir! Rehearses Thursday evenings from 8-9pm and performs regularly during 10:30am worship. If you are interested in joining, please email our music minister, Eric Cui.
- Strings – Several of our members play a stringed instrument and grace us with performances during occasional services or accompany our vocalists. Although they do not have weekly rehearsals, we would love to have you join their number. If you are interested in performing on a Sunday, please contact our music minister, Eric Cui.
- Vocalists – We often feature vocal performances by our members during worship services. If you have a musical piece or talent you would like to share, please contact Eric Cui.
- Brass – Our brass group performs for special occasions in the life of the church and on holidays such as Easter and Christmas. If you play a brass instrument and would like to share your gift, please contact Eric Cui.
- Wesley Choir – For children 1st through 5th grade. Rehearsals are Thursdays 4:45-5:30 pm and performances are scheduled for Sundays about once a month. To inquire further, contact our Wesley Choir Director, Becky Douglas.
Our beautiful sanctuary has served as a venue for a variety of skilled musical performances over the years. Not only have we enjoyed performances by our own members and choirs, but we also have hosted free concerts open to the community, including a concert by the renowned Elisabeth Von Trapp (of the Von Trapp family whose story was made known worldwide by The Sound of Music); concerts by the Amici Strings and the York County Junior Honors Choir; and an annual Christmas performance in December during 10:30 worship by the Eastern University Choir. We are pleased to offer these concerts free of charge to our community, so that any and all may experience God’s beautiful gift of music.
We also serve as a venue for more casual musical performances! June 2nd, 2017 marked our very first 210 Live! event, an open-air live-music concert on our front lawn, featuring performances from local bands (Savior Soul and Jimi Kenrick) and food provided by Abuelita’s Empanadas food truck! The Giving Bean also provided cold brew coffee to our patrons. Our first event was a huge success, proving to be a great night of live entertainment, solid community, and family fun. All proceeds from coffee sales at the event benefited 2 local vital causes: our church’s food pantry and the Radnor Township Civic Association. We look forward to our next 210 Live! event and hope that it continues to make our friends and neighbors in Wayne feel welcome!